Tuesday 28 March 2017

Finally, another dress for me!

It's been a long time since I've had the time to do some blogging about something I've made for myself.  I've been able to post a few things on my Instagram but I figured this dress actually deserved a blogpost.


Last year my Mum and I purchased a Pattern Drafter from Maria Boncaldo.  It's a tricky to explain, but it's basically a ruler to draft your own block pattern (or I think I've seen them called sloper) using your own measurements.  The demonstration I attended showed how to draft a whole dress but so far I've pretty much just done a bodice and sleeve.


After having just 2 attempts, with a little tweaking here and there (more with taking my own measurements correctly) I had a bodice that fit me perfectly.  I usually have a bit of gaping at my neck with a lot of patterns, but not here!  I've never had a dress fit me so well.



The next step was to play a little with necklines.  I've got a basic high neckline and then I had a go at making one with more of a v-neck.  Here I cheated a little looking using some existing patterns I had as a kind of guideline, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  

At the moment I keep using skirts from my existing patterns and matching them with this bodice.  Luckily the skirts from my Boundless Style book from Victory Patterns seem to work beautifully with my bodice pattern and that's where this one came from.  I was bit unsure at first if it was too long, but the more I've worn it, the more I like it and now want to 100 more dresses just like this one.


The fabric is some lovely Cloud 9 fabric I picked up from Spotlight.  I initially made this as a tester dress but I think the fabric suited the pattern perfectly.  I wasn't at all fussy when it came to print matching, but that hasn't mattered and it's been a great dress for Summer, in fact even one of my preps at School commented that I'm always wearing this dress.  I'd better hurry up and make another one I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment